Tour from Sofia to Plovdiv and Bachkovo monastery. The cliché “you must see Plovdiv to see Bulgaria” is absolutely true. There is so much to explore in the country’s second biggest city. Plovdiv is a 2 hour drive from Sofia. Is situated in the western part of the fertile Thracian Valley. It is also one of the oldest European towns, contemporary to Troy and Mycenae. With about a 2-hour walking tour you will learn about its intriguing history. In the afternoon a 30 minutes trip will take you to Bachkovo Monastery (est. the year 1083). A notable religious and tourist site. Enjoy the unique frescoes of the dining room and the facade of St. Nicholas Church, while your guide explains about the history, architecture and nowadays life in the monastery. Enjoy with our tour from Sofia to Plovdiv and Bachkovo monastery.
– Tour of the famous Old Town of Plovdiv, a candidate for a UNESCO World Heritage site
– Visit the best preserved Roman Theater (2nd century) in Bulgaria, which is still used for live performances
– Admire the newly reopened Ancient Stadium (2nd century), that had accommodated 30 000 spectators
– The Ethnographic Museum, also known as the Renaissance house with the 120 windows, has an interesting exhibitions of costumes, instruments etc.
– Bachkovo Monastery, located in mythical Rhodopi Mountains, is established during the 11th century and is the second biggest in Bulgaria
Pick up from your hotel: 8:30 from your accommodation in Sofia. Expected time of your return in Sofia – 18:30- 19:00;
Transfer time: 5 hrs. total (2 hours to Plovdiv, 1/2 hour Plovdiv – Bachkovo, 2.5 hours Bachkovo – Sofia)
Walking time: 3-4 hrs.
Best period: all year
Guide service: 30 Euro (option)
The price includes: pickup and drop off at your hotel in Sofia, transportation with non-smoking vehicle throughout the trip, parking fees.
The price does not include: Meals, drinks and other personal expenses.
Additional information: Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.